Born in Kawwa White Nile State, on 7April 1911, he started showing early brilliance.Contuining to intermediate school in Rufa’a then followed on to complete his Secondary schooling at Gordon College. He then trained as a doctor at Kitchener School of Medicine, later specializing in Psychological Medicine.
• Graduated from Kitchener School of Medicine in 1935.
• Medical Officer in Khartoum, Northern and White Nile state
• First african to be granted Diploma in Psychological Medicine in July 1949 from the University of London.
• He established in October 1950 the Clinic for Nervous Disorders in Khartoum North.
• Regional Advisor in Mental Health for the WHO East Mediterranean Regional Office in Alexandria (1959-1964).
• Member and rotational president of the Supreme Council of State, Democratic Republic of the Sudan (1965-1968).
• In 1969, offered the chair of Psychiatric Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Khartoum.
• Elected as chief of Sudanese medical doctors.
• Member of Academy of the Arabic Language in Cairo.
• Wrote in several disciplines like administration, history and medicine.
• Translated some poetry of great Arabic poets into english.
• Mastered Pharaonic language which is Hiéroglyphique.
• Military soldier in Egypt through the triple invasion.
As well as being the founder of the practice and teaching of Psychiatric Medicine in the Sudan, he became outstanding amongst the Intellectuals. He also became a great collector of books and took the chance whenever he was in Cairo to visit the Alazhar quarter to in search of rare Arabic books. His long services WHO in Alexandria greatly enhanced this opportunity. He collected thousands of books and folios on a very wide range of subjects reflecting his great diversity of interests including familiarising him self with the language of hieroglyphics. Collecting recorded music of all kinds and playing the Oud was one of his lighter hobbies.
After his decease in 1970 his entire library of ................ books was bequeathed to University of Khartoum and is housed between the Faculty of Arts and the Main Library next to the famous Shingaity Library as a lasting memorial to El Tigani El Mahi.